Since the start of the 20th century, logistic services in northern Germany have been closely associated with the Tietje name. Initially in 1905, Ferdinand Teege and his wife Marie founded a haulage firm specialising in the coal trade. In 1921, son-in-law Heinrich Tietje joined the business. Through his decision to purchase a used “Mercedes-Benz OM55” lorry, the business started to enter the motorised age in 1930. This great technical advance of the era drastically reduced the driving time from Nortorf to Hamburg: it now took only 4.5 hours to transport cattle and grain 80 kilometres south. With the new possibilities, the requirements increased as well.